“Welcome to Gio’s Cucina!”
-Chef John Ruggeri
Gio’s Cucina is your source for mouth watering recipes straight from Head Chef John Ruggeri’s Secret Recipe Book. Check back each month for a new dish!
Oven-Baked Mixed Vegetables
Verdure Miste Al Forno
Roasted vegetables are versatile; they can be served hot to accompany a main dish, or at room temperature as a salad with eye and taste appeal.
- 1 small firm eggplant, about 1 pound, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 3 large red bell peppers, about 1 1/2 pounds, cored and seeded, cut into 1 inch strips
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 pound small white cultivated mushrooms, wiped clean
- 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cold water
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley or regular parsley
- 1/4 cup strong red wine vinegar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place all the vegetables and the whole garlic cloves in a large baking pan and season generously with salt and pepper. Add the oil and the water, and mix well.
Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, then remove and discard the foil, and stir vegetables. Bake 20 to 30 minutes longer, or until all the water in the pan is evaporated and the vegetables have a golden-brown color. Stir once or twice during cooking.
To serve the vegetables hot, scoop them up with a slotted spoon and serve immediately. If you plan to serve them as a salad, transfer them with a slotted spoon into a salad bowl, add the parsley and the vinegar, and toss. Cool to room temperature and serve.
* Serves 4-6